Attack of the Shin Splints!
Crazy. I was adding mileage on the treadmill. Increasing speed and begun to handle running without the fear of falling of the treadmill, when attack of the shin splints happened. Sorry no viral YouTube video of me falling off the treadmill in agony. Terrible luck is it not, poor and in pain too?
Shin splints is when the fronts of your lower legs (tibias) causes pain from over use. Now you do not have to be a champion athlete to have this problem. You could be just a few months in on your membership at the gym and end up with this problem. It can seriously kill your desire to keep going to the gym.
What can you do?
1. Do not quit working out, just lay off the leg day for about a week.
2. Ice the areas as needed for about 10 minutes or so. Ice cause rebound pain if left on too long.
3. Rest the legs.
4. Over the counter pain medications for muscles per directions on the box will help with relieving pain.
Then after a week, begin to increase the leg day activates back into your regular exercise. Go at a slower speed, shorter distance, and gradually work back up to where you were in your leg day exercises. If pain presents, back off, and call it for the exercising day.
Other things you can do:
1. Change out your gym shoes, increase arches and new soles.
2. Decrease any inclines on the treadmill. Perhaps even change out the treadmill for flat ground.
3. Do leg warm ups before your major leg work out.
4. Increase stretching exercised that target your shins before you work out.
Do not beat yourself up on having to rest more on your leg day or a slower routine. Take the time to evaluate if your exercise and your running is in good form, right procedures, and equipment/gear is safe. It is all good!
About the Author: Lisa Goins PhD, APRN, FNP-BC, RMT is the CEO of Couture Health Care, www.couturehealthcare.org. Dr. Goins’ health articles are feature a mix of holistic health, wealth, and spiritual news, reviews, and information for health professionals and the public. Dr. Goins is the author of the newly released book CEO Business Objectives: Health, Wealth, and Success available for purchase on Amazon in the USA. Dr. Goins sees clients in Ohio and Kentucky in the USA and can be found on Google+, Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, and Youtube Channel offers health videos.
Mission Statement: "Couturing individual patient's/client's